Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dock Bubbler Hardware

The builder of my dock had included a bubbler system built in a cheap plywood enclosure. It was heavy to move and it was getting pretty shabby because of the plywood's exposure to the elements. For a Spring project, I wanted to upgrade my bubbler with a new weatherized housing and a one-piece thermostatic outlet.  

At SepticSolutions.com I found an outdoor air pump enclosure that was just large enough to hold my Gast compressor.  For $129 with free shipping, the cost was reasonable.  Getting rid of the big wooden platform meant I had to find a new mount for the Kasco thermostat, which had its own industrial sized enclosure.

Instead, I found that Allied makes a $30 thermostatically controlled outlet. This plug will turn on the bubbler at 35 degrees and off at 37 degrees. The two degree difference keeps it from transitioning back and forth when temperatures settle around the threshold. Its microprocessor controlled and rated for 15 Amps.  It can be found online at NorthCoastPets.com

There are other thermostatic outlet products, but most of them have a wide temperate range that isn't as well suited to a bubbler.

Update:

The next year I replaced the Gast rotary vane pump which was not designed for outdoor use, with a Hiblow HP-200 linear pump. It was also purchased from Septic Solutions.  The Hiblow pump has been running fine for 10 years.

Summary of current bubbler equipment:
  • Hiblow HP-200 linear pump
  • Septic Solutions vented housing and platform
  • Allied TCO

No comments:

Post a Comment